Louis T. Graves Memorial Library, Kennebunkport Maine
History Image
         
spacer About Us: History Tab spacer   spacer
 

1813 Original red brick building built as the Kennebunk
Bank in Arundel.

1815 Customs District installed on second floor.

1831 Bank's charter revoked, property purchased by
US government for use as a Customs House.

1894 Kennebunkport Free Library founded by Mrs. Anne
Talbot. She donated books, bookcases, hired librarian.

1898 Library moved to second floor of Customs House.

1913 Customs District eliminated. Building leased by
government to Mrs. Talbot as a library.

1916 Kennebunkport Public Library Association formed,
absorbing Mrs. Talbot's library. Books, goods and
services donated by townspeople and community.

1920 Property purchased by Mr. and Mrs. Abbott Graves.
Room added to rear of building.

1921 Property deeded to Library Association by the Graves
on condition Library be named for their deceased son
Louis T. Graves.

1930 Children's Department with storybook murals by
Louis Norton opened on second floor.

1956 Second rear room added with gift from Dean
Chester Emerson.

1974
Library building named to the National Register
of Historic Places.

1988 Renovation and expansion included handicapped access,
a work room, a young adult room and a reading room.

1998 Perkins House purchased to be used for ongoing Book Sale.

1999 Open House for Perkins House. Library circulation automated/catalogue online.

2005 Automatic Doors for easy access installed at Library.

2013 Centennial observed. Publication of Kennebunkport : the Evolution of an American Town 1603-2003 written by Joyce Butler.

For a more detailed history, see articles researched and written by Joyce Butler in the vertical (office) file at the Library.